Tuesday, December 19, 2017

A needlepoint stocking for Elle


45 years ago I took up needlepoint, it was my only hobby.   One year I made 6 needlepoint stockings for my 6 nieces and nephews.   I did them all in about 5 months.  I was needlepointing every waking moment to complete those before Christmas that year.   Then 40 years ago my first child was born so I made a needlepoint stocking for him.   5 years later my daughter was born and I made one for her.

By then I was pretty tired of needlepointing and rarely did anymore.    But when my first grandson was born and I made him a stocking, that was almost 12 years ago.    I have to admit 3 years later when his sister was born I didn't make a stocking for her, (it's on my to do list)  but I did make a cross stitch baby quilt for her nursery.      Then finally my daughter got married 4 years ago and this January she had a baby girl.    I hadn't thought of stockings as I was HEAVY into scrapbooking and it is the hobby that was now consuming every wakening moment.   But this fall my daughter informed me I WILL make Elle a needlepoint stocking for this year and there are no excuses.   OOPS I better get busy.    So finally  I found a pattern I liked and got busy.   Patterns/kits have changed over the decades, as a lot more extras to add other than a straight needlepoint stitch, all the outlining, and accent stitching on top and then the pompoms for the stocking cap on this one and no not just a felt hanger but a braided hanger with tassels.    Finally just last week it was finished and I had even figured out how to sew the backing on myself and turn it into a stocking.   I think that scared me the most, usually I took my stockings somewhere to be backed.

The good news is I have bought two more kits,  one for my now 8 year old granddaughter and one for my son-in-law (Elle's Dad)    If I get real industrious I'll do one for my husband and myself (ssshhh don't tell anyone I found 3 partially finished kits I had started decades ago) and one for my brother and then the whole gang that is together for Christmas will have their own needlepoint stockings.

So this is my entry for the latest challenge #424 at   "TUESDAY MORNING SKETCHES"  
It is time for their annual anything goes challenge.

As you will see, you seriously mean, Anything Goes!  You can share pretty packaging, a painting or a particularly lovely plate of Christmas cookies.  Tuesday Morning Sketches is sponsoring and although I don't have a picture, the prize is Hampton Arts Stamp Tool and a pillow box punch board by We Are Memory Keepers.  There may be some fun embellishments and paper in the prize box, too.  That'll have to be a surprise.

5 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I love all the beautiful detail embroidery work of this needlepoint stocking, and especially how you personalized it! I found a bedspread I started crocheting decades ago that was never finished too LOL At least with cards, they're done in a relatively short period of time and not stashed away for eons LOL Thanks for joining us at the Tuesday Morning Sketch challenge and good luck in the prize drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow!! This is gorgeous! What a wonderful stocking for your granddaughter!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches
    Debbie ~ TMS DT
    Debbie's Dash of This and That

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I meant to add...

    Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, needlepoint has come a lo g way over the years! Wonderful stocking...loving the Pom-poms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is one incredible heirloom keepsake stocking Barbara!! You have some mighty blessed family members that is FOR SURE!! Thanks so very much for sharing with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches, do come back sometime soon. You're more than welcome to enter a scrapbook page for our sketches and it's also quite easy to just throw together a card while you have your page supplies out!!

    ReplyDelete