Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Take the Blue Highways


 Back in the '80's I read a book that was on the best sellers list called  "The Blue Highways"  by William Least Heat-Moon.    It was about his travels around the United States and all the little towns he explored while traveling "the blue highways" and not the interstates.     I love doing this and try to get off the interstate whenever traveling.     My husband is more of an interstate and get to the destination, but I've taken several family road trips as a group and we travel off the interstate a lot of the time.    This layout is from one of 5 "Route 66" road trips just my brother and I have taken over the last 3 years.     In May we took two   2-day road trips thru Illinois on Route 66 and no interstate.   This was from the first of the two trips and the northern part on Route 66.    At this stop at the Polka Dot Drive-In in Braidwood, Illinois where we found everything Superman (and his phone booth which I posed in for pictures),  Elvis, the Blues Brothers and Betty Boop.   It was such a fun stop and something you would never see traveling down the interstate.     So I made this layout for the    "SCRAP CHALLENGE YOURSELF"  October challenge to use your favorite quote.   Mine being "Take the Blue Highways.



3 comments:

  1. Oh Barb! What a fun and fabulous layout you created for our "Favorite Quote" challenge! I love taking the "Blue Highways" and seeing all sorts of things along the way. This particular trip that you scrapped, looks extra fun! I especially LOVE the fantastic photos!! Your page really made me smile today. Thank you so much for joining us this month at Challenge YOUrself! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, this was a fun stop. We thought we could make the Illinois Route 66 in two days, but it turned out to be 2 different two day trips, one north and one south. Just so much fun to see along the route there.

      Delete
  2. What a fun roadtrip! Love the photos. Great design too. Thank you for joining in with us at Challenge YOUrself.

    ReplyDelete